The Best Small Fictions is the first ever contemporary anthology solely dedicated to anthologizing the best internationally published short hybrid fiction in a given calendar year. Now in its sixth year of existence, Best Small Fictions features the best micro fiction, flash fiction, haibun stories and prose poetry from around the world. Editors of literary magazines and journals send their five best works of flash and micro fiction, haibun stories and prose poems within 1,000 words published in 2020.
The following pieces are Capsule Stories’s Best Small Fictions nominations for the 2021 anthology. It’s always hard to choose selections, but we nominated these short stories and prose poems:
- “Fishing in the Dark” by Larry Griggs, published in Capsule Stories Spring 2020 Edition
- “My Body Is a Warehouse” by Alolika A. Dutta, published in Capsule Stories Spring 2020 Edition
- “The Twenty-Second Rule” by Diana Clark, published in Capsule Stories Isolation Edition
- “Walking Tour” by Dani Castonzo, published in Capsule Stories Summer 2020 Edition
- “heave / cough” by Michelle Cadiz, published in Capsule Stories Autumn 2020 Edition
We wish these writers the best of luck and hope these pieces are selected for the Best Small Fictions anthology this year. And as always, thank you to all our contributors whose work we published in 2020.